Position: Systems & Reporting Coordinator (6 Month Contract)
Deadline: December 11, 2019
Posted: December 5, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Systems & Reporting Coordinator is responsible for the ongoing user support and maintenance of the Housing Software System (StarRez), the safeguarding of student information for over 2,000 undergraduate and graduate bed spaces and the administration and analysis of the annual housing survey. The role is also responsible for the timely, efficient and accurate development and production of queries, exports, reports, lists, analyses, etc., as well as ensuring the quality and quantity of data to meet established department objectives. The incumbent works in setting up new modules, maintaining the current system, collecting and analyzing data and generating reports to inform department decision making. This position has responsibility for the systems and reporting in the department for Peterborough & Durham.
The incumbent will lead many projects that are critical to the department’s future growth and success. Within the first four years of the position the incumbent will lead the following projects:
• Modernization of the housing management system for better end user functionality
• Leading and implementing housing systems business process reviews
• Housing management systems review, request for proposals (if necessary) and implementation of the system
• Transition to the new housing management student portal web-based platform
• Implementation of new system modules, including adding data and information into the system, conducting system tests, and deploying the software once testing has completed. This includes the expansion of the system to include new residences in Peterborough and Durham.
The administration of annual housing surveys, data collection, and analysis, including the generation of reports for use in decision making by others.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Honours University Degree (4 year) in Business Administration, Computer Science, or Management Information Systems is required.
1. Four years of experience related to software and database management is required. Preference given to candidates with multiple years of experience in a university and housing setting.
2. Four years of experience with data collection, maintenance and analysis is required.
3. Expert knowledge and demonstrated ability with SQL required.
4. Programming experience in major systems implementation languages, preferably C and BASIC.
5. Proven experience in the operation and analysis of database hardware, software, and standards, as well as data retrieval methodologies.
6. Significant experience implementing and/or troubleshooting web-based applications.
7. Excellent data analysis skills and the ability to translate data into recommendations and concise reports.
8. Experience in overseeing the design, development, and implementation of software and hardware solutions, systems, or products.
9. A strong understanding of networking technologies and their interaction with web-based applications.
10. Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills.
11. Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required.
12. Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language.
13. Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
14. Experience with report writing and data analysis preferred.
15. Superior computer skills; Intermediate level proficiency with word processing (MS Word). High proficiency in database/spreadsheet (MS Access/MS Excel) software; knowledge of Datatel and/or StarRez an asset.
16. Understanding of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and implementation.
17. High degree of accuracy, efficiency, skills in proof reading; patience with auditing and repeated review of details.
18. Good communication skills; experience in customer service and dealing with difficult customers.
19. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
20. Strong public presentation skills.
21. Understanding of the residence experience for students.
Salary: $2,437.52 - $2,877.82 bi-weekly
Shaun McCracken, BBA (Hons), FMP
Assistant Director, Residence Operations & Services
1600 West Bank Drive
Trent University is noted for internationally-respected faculty, globally-significant research, and world-class facilities. The Peterborough campus is located on the beautiful Otonabee River in the heart of the Kawarthas and is host to over 1,800 students who live in residence. The newly expanded Durham campus is conveniently located close to the GTA on Thornton Road and will be opening a new 200 bed residence in Fall 2020. Trent University has approximately 9,000 full and part-time students, and employs approximately 2,000 employees, including faculty staff, contract staff, and student staff. Trent offers over 60 undergraduate and professional degree programs and a total of 20 graduate programs. Students benefit from a greatly enhanced academic experience due to Trent's ability to consistently deliver a meaningful, high-quality liberal undergraduate education in the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences in an environment that places a strong emphasis on interaction between students and professors.