Position: Student Housing Coordinator
Deadline: July 28, 2022
Job Description / Duties
In your role, as Student Housing Coordinator, you will develop and deliver a range of services and administrative procedures such as managing residence admissions and recruitment activities (including recruitment and marketing), admissions requirements and procedures, on-line application processes, residence fees, managing room assignments, and coordinating move-in/outs.
In addition to the above, you will also develop and coordinate services and procedures needed to deliver comprehensive reception services and responses to inquiries from students, prospective students, families, guardians, faculty, staff and landlords. This includes how to secure housing (applying to residence or conducting a search for accommodations off campus) and how to approach and resolve issues that may occur during an on campus or off campus living experience. You will supervise staff to ensure that reception services provide accurate residence and campus information, identify issues students may be facing and make appropriate referrals to resources on and off campus, advise students on how to safely conduct a search for off-campus housing, provide information and referrals for landlord-tenant issues and other housing-related concerns.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing and assessing student applications for admission into residential accommodations
- Scheduling logistics required to move incoming and outgoing residents (i.e. coordinating room assignments, room changes, handling fees or fines)
- Developing content for marketing and/or promotional materials (i.e. promoting programs and services offered)
- Resolving issues within the scope of the role and escalating problems as required (i.e. room conflicts, making referrals too other resources or services)
- Maintaining information on digital platforms (i.e. maintaining information on website, social media platforms)
- Analyzing administrative processes and procedures and recommending changes for improvement
- Updating and maintaining database records (i.e. updating StarRez system, generating data and summarizing analysis)
- Developing content for instructional workshops
Qualifications / Required Skills
- University degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three (3) years related experience advising in a residence or other post-secondary student service related area
- Experience with residence records management database systems (i.e. StarRez) and Student Information Systems
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering information sessions
- Experience using web content management systems to maintain digital and social media platforms
- Demonstrated experience using databases to facilitate business processes by generating and analyzing data and reporting
- Experience supervising and training staff
- Strong interpersonal, problem-solving, mediation, analytical and organizational skills
- Strong leadership skills and customer-service focused in order to assist and work with students, parents and landlords
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (oral and written), in order to deliver effective workshops, market and promote services and write procedural documentation and processes
- Ability to be tactful, professional and sensitive while working with a diverse student population, in order to build trust and confidence, enhance the student experience and assist with varying needs and circumstances
- Strong proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), survey tools (i.e. Campus Labs), housing related databases (i.e. StarRez, Student Information Systems), web content management systems
- Strong attention to detail and ability to prioritize work, particularly during peak periods and to meet deadlines
- Must show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and working environment
This position is a six month term.
Salary: USW Pay Band 11 -- $67,659 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $86,523.
The University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimited potential. Join us on our journey.
The Department of Student Housing and Residence Life is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment that is conducive to students’ personal and academic success. Our department is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the University of Toronto Scarborough’s student residences in order to provide accommodations and a community that promotes the development of our students. We work collaboratively with student service professionals across the campus in order to provide a wide range of activities, services and supports to enhance the quality of student experience.