Position: Student Housing Assistant
Deadline: December 1, 2021
Job Description / Duties
As a Student Housing Assistant, you will work in a team environment providing front-facing reception and services to our students. In this role, you will also provide proactive, customer-friendly front-line service over the telephone, in person, by e-mail and social media to prospective and current students, faculty, staff and the public. You will respond to routine enquiries and make appropriate referrals when necessary and investigate and resolve routine issues and minor complaints. As the Student Housing Assistant, you will provide information about UTSC’s residence procedures and may introduce variations to established procedures in order to solve routine problems as directed by your Supervisor or the Director, Housing & Residence Life.
More specifically, your duties will include, but are not limited to: entering data and retrieving information from databases (including working with ACORN, a student information hub and StarRez, a residence application and information system); arranging appointments; maintaining files and records; assisting with organizing special events; producing a variety of routine email correspondence and notifications; processing residence applications; assisting with the coordination of check-in and check-out activities and orientation to residence, and assisting with formatting and proofreading documents and informational materials.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Responding to enquiries within the defined scope of the role and redirecting as appropriate
- Providing detailed information on program and/or course eligibility requirements, procedures, policies and deadlines
- Providing information to applicants on status of application (e.g. uses StarRez system to access student files and inform students on their application status and makes appropriate adjustments)
- Booking rooms and arranging appropriate accommodations (e.g. check-in/check-out activities, move-in and residence orientation)
- Troubleshooting and resolving routine issues (e.g. replacement of lost keys)
- Disseminating information (e.g. provides information to students on: off-campus housing services, residence options, fees, amenities, residence life programs and student groups, housekeeping, maintenance needs, residence council)
- Coordinating meeting schedules, agendas, materials, action and follow-up items
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming (e.g. preparation of notices, invitations, attendance lists, registration, selling tickets)
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Advanced College Diploma (3 years) or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum three years in a customer service position in a post-secondary institution
- Strong customer service skills
- Sound interpersonal, problem-solving, and organizational skills
- Strong oral and written communication required
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, tact, sensitivity and ability to serve a diverse student population
- Ability to prioritize work, particularly during peak periods and meet deadlines
- Proficient using Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Ability to demonstrate professionalism and diplomacy in working with University staff, students, parents and landlords
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain accuracy
- Applicants are expected to show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and working environment
Check the website for additional details and to apply online: https://jobs.utoronto.ca/job/Toronto-ON/552336217/
Salary: USW Pay Band 07 -- $52,173 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $66,722. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
The Department of Student Housing and Residence Life at the University of Toronto Scarborough is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment that is conducive to students’ personal and academic success. Our department is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the University of Toronto Scarborough’s student residences in order to provide accommodations and a community that promotes the development of our students. We work collaboratively with student service professionals across the campus in order to provide a wide range of activities, services and supports to enhance the quality of student experience.