Position: Residence Manager
Deadline: May 6, 2018
Posted: April 26, 2018
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Director, Student Engagement, the Residence Manager will be part of a team based approach to developing a supportive, engaging and inviting campus community. The incumbent will support the residence life program, including working with the Director and Residence Life Staff to identify and expand on residence and student focused programming both on and off campus; assist the Director with residence conduct issues; and act as the first point of contact for the various operational issues that arise within the residence community at Huron.
The Residence Manager will also participate in the recruitment and hiring of Residence Life Staff and volunteers, and work collaboratively with others to plan and support initiatives for the residence community. The Residence Manager assists the Director to support the strategic vision and direction for the residence life program.
Flexibility exists for the incumbent to live on or off of campus. For individuals living off campus, it is required that you live within a 15 minute commute to campus. This position will work outside of the traditional hours of work which will include evenings, weekends and rotational on-call responsibilities. This is a contract position and will continue for a period of 2 years with the possibility of renewal.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Undergraduate degree required in a related area such as Higher Education or Student Affairs.
- Five (5) years of related experience in a similar position in a post-secondary environment, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Certification in ASIST, Mental Health First Aid and/or Conflict Resolution would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of best practices related to student development and student success.
- Knowledge of student and professional resources available to students both on and off campus.
- Proven negotiation, crisis management and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact and maintain positive relationships with a broad group of internal and external stakeholders in a variety of settings including public presentations.
- Well-honed and developed interpersonal skills to represent Huron professionally.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and use good judgement in all decisions.
- An open, inviting and approachable personality that allows the opportunity to build meaningful, trusting relationships.
- A strong willingness to participate fully in a team environment.
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, and cultural understanding.
- Maintain a non-judgemental approach when dealing with difficult or conflicting situations.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 11:59pm. Letters of application and a current curriculum vitae, including three references (who will not be contacted without permission of the candidate), should be submitted in confidence to:
Director, Human Resources
Huron University College
1349 Western Road
London, ON, N6G 1H3
Huron University College values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron by phone at 519-438-7224 or at the email address above.
Huron University College is completely unique to post-secondary institutions in Canada. With the aim to redefine Liberal Arts education, Huron is creating a university experience unlike any other that prioritizes ethical leadership and community engagement, as much as the pursuit of academic achievement.
As the founding college of Western University, since 1863, Huron has remained strategically small to best serve the needs of its students. We provide an elite, yet accessible, education, because every student with the passion and work ethic to positively change our world deserves to access the knowledge to understand it and the skills to shape it. Huron’s mission is to develop Leaders with Heart from all backgrounds and foster a vibrant and inclusive community and prepare students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they work within. Our commitment to providing the best-possible Liberal Arts education means students have many unique opportunities to enrich their learning experiences.