Position: Residence Life Manager (MT7496, SAF2D, GR4)
Deadline: September 20, 2018
Posted: September 7, 2018
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to Associate Director, Residence Life, the Residence Life Manager (RLM) is responsible for the development and administration of residence life in their assigned residence hall(s). The position plays a central role in Student Housing and Hospitality Services in fostering empowering communities of support to enhance the living and learning experience, and to support and enhance the development, education, and wellness of our residents.
The Residence Life Manager will be a live in or live out in an assigned apartment in their residence area, is expected to be highly visible in their assigned halls and participate in a rotating on-call schedule. Frequent irregular hours including extended workdays; attendance at evening and weekend meetings, programs and functions. The Residence Life Manager is expected to dine on a regular basis in the residence dining hall and to interact with students and staff.
Staff Supervision and Development:
* Provide leadership, support, ongoing training and supervision of floor fellow teams.
*Coordinate annual selection process and regular evaluations that ensure opportunities for student input and feedback, and staff development.
* Coach and direct floor fellows in their interactions with and support of students.
Student Support and Crisis Management:
* Communicate, explain and clarify residence living standards to students, mediate conflict, facilitate community, and promote resolution of behavior problems.
* Counsel students with personal, academic and career concerns and make appropriate referrals to campus resources.
* When necessary serve as a Disciplinary Officer, in the context of supporting and developing students.
* Respond and provide direction in dealing with any student crisis/emergency situation according to McGill University protocols.
Student and Community Development:
* Actively promote opportunities for student participation in Student Housing and Hospitality Services and McGill’s community.
* Initiate and implement programs to promote student learning through collaboration with members of the Residence Life Office, Student Housing and Hospitality Services and McGill’s community.
* Develop an environment that is conducive to academic success by coordinating and implementing a community-building model, in line with Student Housing and Hospitality Services Mission and Values
* Assess and support residents’ social, academic and personal needs.
* Collaborate with each sub-unit of Student Housing and Hospitality Services to ensure high level of support and services to students.
Membership in Student Housing and Hospitality Services workgroups and on-campus committees.
* Respond to inquiries and concerns from students and parents.
* Complete and submit written documentation for all significant student interactions in a timely fashion.
* Administrate training and programming budget; submit all relevant forms and reports according to University guidelines.
* Assist the Residence Life Office with program development, delivery and evaluation.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Three (3) years' related experience
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Comprehensive communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with all levels of an organization and to develop excellent relationships with both Student Housing and Hospitality Services and Student Life and Learning. Demonstrated ability to make interpersonal connections with traditionally-aged university students in a residence setting in multiple roles, including but not limited to advisor, supporter, counselor, supervisor, positive role model and advocate. Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and use initiative in applying and interpreting a variety of procedures, policies and practices. Experience with basic financial principles. Experience with supervision of positional student leaders. Proven community-building experience; confidentiality and discretion. Well-versed in issues of equity and diversity; program development in these areas would be an asset. Experience with design and implementation of program development and assessment. Proven flexibility to work in a constantly changing organization. Proficient in the use of social media and computer applications. Demonstrated creativity, initiative, and project completion. Highly developed oral and written communications skills. Significant successful experience in the administration of employees, performance evaluation or comparable managerial experience. Candidates must be strong team players and demonstrate a strong work ethic. English spoken and written. French proficiency is an asset.
McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and others who may contribute to further diversification.
33.75 (Flexible work schedule, hours may be outside of 9-5. Live-in position. Must be available day/night/weekends, rotating on-call shift one weekend per month. The work has seasonal peaks and an annual cycle.)
until August 31, 2020 (with possibility of extension)
Salary: (Grade 04) $50,800 - $63,500 (midpoint) - $82,600
How to Apply:
Please submit your cover letter and curriculum vitae, clearly indicating the reference number, to Student Housing and Hospitality Services:
Reference no.: MT7496
McGill University, Student Housing & Hospitality Services
475 Sherbrooke Street West
The deadline to apply for this position is September 20, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
We thank all applicants for their interest in McGill University. However, Student Housing and Hospitality Services will only contact applicants selected for an interview.
Founded in 1821, McGill University ranks among the world’s best institutions for research and higher learning. Our 11 faculties and 11 professional schools offer more than 300 programs to 40,000 graduate, undergraduate, and continuing studies students.
McGill University is proud to employ over 7,600 outstanding faculty and staff. In every corner of our campuses, you will find vibrant, talented, and dedicated employees making amazing contributions to our community.
McGill's Student Housing and Hospitality Services is comprised of Student Housing, Food and Dining, as well as Accommodations and Conference Services on campus. SHHS prides itself on offering a welcoming, safe, and nurturing environment which is strategically designed to foster the development, education, and wellness of our community. We are committed to providing high quality services and maximizing operational efficiency to enhance the living and learning experience of our students, staff, and guests.
Each year, McGill welcomes more than 3,000 students that are housed in traditional and modern-style dorms, apartments, and shared-facilities houses. The Rez experience however, is so much more than housing. Students are encouraged to get involved in student government groups, campus organizations, community work, and so many more fulfilling activities. When you choose McGill Residences, you choose to enter a nurturing space that guides you through every step of your academic journey.