Position: Residence Life Manager
Deadline: December 21, 2018
Posted: December 10, 2018
Job Description / Duties
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
The Residence Life Manager (RLM) reports to the Senior Director of Residence Operations, Seneca College Residence & Conference Centre, and the Director, Residence Life & The Student Experience. The RLM is responsible for creating a safe, inclusive and enriching student experience in residence at the Seneca College Residences. The RLM is responsible for the development and implementation of the
Residence Life program that supports student growth and development in accordance with the mission and values of Seneca College.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
• Training, supervising and developing the professional Residence Life Coordinators;
• Facilitating the development of educational and social programming that meets the diverse needs of students living in residence at the Seneca Campuses;
• Working closely with the Residence Services Manager at the Seneca King Campus to bridge the Residence Life program between the two properties;
• Overseeing the administration of the Residence Community Living Standards and the day-to-day
student issues related to behaviour, academics, personal health and wellness, community conflicts and the overall student experience;
• Liaising with campus services, departments and other community resources to design and implement initiatives that promote student success;
• Developing and managing the residence life program budget;
• Directing the recruitment, training and supervision of the Resident Advisors;
• Directing the recruitment, training and supervision of the Residence Council;
• Participate occasionally in a rotating manager ‘on-call’ schedule on evenings and weekends and responding to facility and student emergency or crisis situations (stay/live within 30 mins of the
campus during on-call periods);
• Creating strong partnerships with various campus departments;
• Supporting the regular operational functions of the Residence Management Team, including facilities, front desk, and conference services;
• Developing and implementing policies and procedures as necessary;
• Participating and taking leadership regularly in company-wide initiatives, including working groups, policy development, etc. with the department of Residence Life, overseen by the Director/Associate Director, Residence Life & The Student Experience; and
• Other tasks as assigned.
Health & Safety
• Requires employees work in the manner and with the protective devices, measures and procedures required by the OHSA, regulations and Campus Living Centres (e.g. wearing safety shoes, confining
hair, jewelry or loose clothing around moving parts, etc).
• Ensures employees are advised of and trained on the existence of any potential or actual danger to their health or safety of which the supervisor is aware.
• Ensures every precaution reasonable in the circumstances is taken for the protection of an employee.
• Supports a safe work environment that is free from any violence or harassment.
• Reinforces and demonstrates a positive “health and safety” attitude and working climate and holds information sessions with staff on health and safety issues.
• Develops an effective working relationship with JHSC members and supports their role.
• Performs informal workplace inspections daily and formal workplace inspections quarterly, including staff observations.
• Makes every reasonable attempt to resolve any employee health and safety concerns.
• Conducts effective Incident Investigations and reviews all forms, ensuring these are discussed at management meetings.
• Corrects any substandard or unsafe acts or any unsafe conditions and informing superiors of concerns
• Ensures that a maintenance program for any equipment and machinery in the workplace is carried out.
• Implements emergency plans when necessary and ensures that employees have been properly trained to comply.
• Regularly evaluating employee performance and providing periodic feedback with respect to health and safety.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Education: Undergraduate degree (Graduate degree in educational administration, student development, counseling or similar is preferred);
Previous experience living in a college/university residence setting is essential;
Previous experience working with volunteer student leader organizations;
Experience developing and managing budgets;
Strong business acumen and an ability to create proposals;
Independently motivated and able to work on projects and work through
Ability to travel and work from various campuses on semi-regular basis;
Ability to create strong relationships across all departments and campuses;
Understanding of, and ability to, integrate student development theory into practice;
Proven leadership and management abilities, including the ability to train and supervise new and young professionals;
Highly developed oral and written communication skills;
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and solve complex student, staff and administrative problems;
Training and experience managing crisis/emergency situations;
Demonstrated creativity, initiative and an ability to organize and facilitate social and educational events;
Strong computer skills including the ability to use spreadsheets, databases, and word processing tools to create professional reports.
Experience Required: Minimum of 4-6 years of professional experience in Residence Life or Student Affairs;
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is Campus Living Centres’ policy to promote equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees. Campus Living Centres does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, colour,
religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status or sexual orientation. Campus Living Centres prohibits the harassment of any individual on
any of the grounds listed above. This applies to all areas of employment including recruitment, hiring, training and promotion.
If you require accommodation in order to successfully submit an application, please email us to make your accommodation request at email@example.com.
The successful candidate would possess a unique combination of skills and experience. Hours will be irregular, including extended workdays and frequent weekend shifts. A comprehensive benefit package is
available. On-site accommodations are available, however not a requirement of this position.
Salary: Salary will be based on experience and education.
Director, Residence Operations
Instructions: Applications must include a current resume and cover letter.
Special Notes: Only selected applicants will be notified if they have been chosen to take part in an interview process.