Position: Residence Life Coordinator
Deadline: March 29, 2019
Posted: March 20, 2019
Job Description / Duties
Position Summary and Job Magnitude
The Residence Life Coordinator (RLC) is a live-in position responsible for the overall quality of living, within their assigned student residence(s). The RLC is responsible for the implementation of academic & social programming, staff development, student development, community development, and building administration & management. The RLC also participates regularly in company-wide program and initiative development, as part of Campus Living Centre’s Residence Life department.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
Administration and Building Management
• Coordinate the opening and closing of the residence(s) during appropriate times (e.g., move-in, move-out, winter break, etc.).
• Oversee occupancy management of assigned residence(s).
• Manage all aspects relating to the Residence Life Office. This includes, but is not limited to, supplies, cleanliness, and access.
• Monitor departmental spending and manage budget.
• Maintain the property social media account(s).
• Liaise and support institutional recruitment efforts with a focus on promoting on-campus living.
• Connect with contacts within the local community who support student development, such as local businesses, emergency services, and regional health services.
• Maintain regular communication with the Property Support Residence Life Team (Director/Associate Director, Residence Life & The Student Experience).
Crisis and Incident Management
• Serve as part of the departmental rotation of on-call managers.
• Be familiar with and follow the Campus Living Centres policies and procedures.
• Perform mediations and interventions as needed.
• Coordinate with outside agencies in response to crises.
• Serve as a conduct administrator for the assigned residence(s). This includes, but is not limited to, management of the incident report database, investigating incidents, and following up with student concerns.
Student and Staff Development
• Maintain visibility and presence within the assigned residence community.
• Develop an engaged and inclusive residence community by implementing the Community Development Model, leading a Residence Orientation, and implementing social and educational programming.
• Recruit, hire, train, evaluate, and mentor a team of Resident Advisors and/or Community Advisors.
• Create and deliver training sessions for the Residence Life Staff. These trainings include, but are not limited to the Residence Life Staff Training Conference and property training.
• Liaise, collaborate, and partner with institutional partners to support the needs of students.
• Support and provide guidance to the Residence Council. This includes, but is not limited to, aiding in elections, facilitating the creation of programs/events, or soliciting feedback for residence improvements.
• Develop and maintain internal and external relationships. This includes but is not limited to, institutional committees/offices, Campus Living Centres properties/Property Support, OACUHO, ACUHO-I, CACUSS, etc.
• Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Recognized College Diploma or University Degree
Must possess superior verbal and written communication skills;
Must possess above average customer service skills;
Must possess superior attitude towards learning;
Must be able to handle multiple projects at once; and
Must be able to provide strong leadership to staff.
Minimum of 1 year experience in Residence Life, Social Services, or Customer Service related experience
Hours per Week: Scheduled 44 hours per week (may need to work more as required)
Level of Interruption: High level of interruption
Stress Level: Moderate overall stress level
Travel Outside of Location: Moderate
Residence Life Manager
Algonquin College Residence & Conference Centre
1385 Woodroffe Ave, Ottawa ON, K2G 1V8
Tel: 613.727.4723 ext. 2285
Welcome to a company that is young, energetic and an industry leader in student housing.
Campus Living Centres was founded in 1989 with the purpose of assisting colleges and universities and with the planning, design, financing, and management of student housing and conference facilities. As the largest operator of student housing in Canada, Campus Living Centres (and our affiliated companies) has a portfolio of approximately 20,000 beds, which includes a combination of both managed and/or owned student housing developments.
Our team is comprised of over 600 dedicated, hardworking, and knowledgeable individuals. We understand the importance of having both a strong Property Support and local management team with the skills needed to lead, develop, and execute the goals and initiatives on behalf of our campus partners.
Campus Living Centres uses an integrated service delivery approach to student housing management that improves the financial performance of housing operations, while enhancing the student experience. As a result, we have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies. This designation is considered a mark of excellence for Canadian owned and managed companies, and we are proud to be affiliated with a community that recognizes and celebrates Canadian business excellence.
We are always interested in speaking with students, new grads and experienced professionals interested in a career in the following fields:
Residence Life and Student Affairs
Hotel and Hospitality Management
Facilities and Property Management
Accounting and Financial Services
Sales, Advertising and Marketing
Building design, construction, and project management