Position: Residence Coordinator - University of Alberta
Deadline: January 9, 2019
Posted: December 21, 2018
Job Description / Duties
- Administers the Residence Life program and works with the Leadership Team to provide direction concerning the University of Alberta's residence system, specifically within their assigned residence(s)
- Ensures that the health and safety of residents is paramount
- Implements programs that will facilitate personal, interpersonal, and academic development of first year residents
- Coordinates the student staff selection process; selects, supervises, trains and supports the student staff (Senior Resident Assistants and Resident Assistants)
- Advises and supports the residence student associations within the community
- Supports students in a number of areas, making referrals to other services when appropriate
- Works with Residence Operations to identify and address facility concerns
- Uses restorative justice practices to manage student behaviour, address community concerns and resolve roommate disputes
- Investigates incidents that are sensitive, serious and/or complex as needed by the supervisor, providing a written report and any recommended sanctions
- Shares responsibility for after-hour on-call duties for the residence system
- Works closely with other groups in the department and the larger university
- Oversees security and provides emergency crisis response
- Performs other related duties as required
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Education, Counselling, Social Work or a related field; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- Minimum 1 year of directly related experience
- Significant intercultural competence (experience abroad, fluency in additional languages, relevant education or work experience) is preferred
- Previous professional experience in student affairs, a related master's degree or advanced training in an applicable subject is an asset
- Previous training in restorative justice, suicide intervention and first aid preferred
- Experience working in multicultural environments and previous supervisory experience are assets
- Demonstrated understanding of student needs and experiences
- Computer proficiency using MS Office applications (Word, Outlook and Excel)
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), interpersonal, organizational and problem solving skills
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License (non-GDL) with the ability to drive University Fleet vehicles is an asset
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/S103937868/ to apply online by midnight on January 09, 2019.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Residence Life at the University of Alberta is a leading program in Canada, dedicated to the principles of dignity, respect, safety, equity, learning and community. Reporting to the Supervisor, Residence Life and guided by the University’s Academic Plan, the Residence Coordinator delivers programs and services that build community, facilitate learning and support student wellness. The Residence Coordinator will be assigned to a hall in the first-year student complex, Lister Centre.