Position: Residence Community Development Supervisor
Deadline: August 29, 2018
Posted: August 24, 2018
Job Description / Duties
We are looking for a new member to join our Housing Team!
Reporting to the Manager, Residence Life, the incumbent is responsible for implementing the College’s corporate Residence Life Model. Working at both the Sutherland and Frost Campuses, the incumbent is responsible for the supervision of a team of student staff, and overseeing the case management of student behavioural cases. As the two residence sites accommodate students 12 months of the year, as well as conference activity during spring and summer month, the incumbent will work evenings, weekends, and holidays on occasion as required.
The incumbent is responsible for the delivery of programming to residents in line with established curriculum and learning outcomes. This will include implementing large scale programs in collaboration with campus and community partners, and ensuring appropriate learning opportunities are provided to students. The incumbent is responsible for managing two programming budgets for student activities.
The incumbent is responsible for the direct supervision of a team of student staff, including implementing hiring and training programs, and engaging in disciplinary processes. Furthermore, the incumbent will regularly support students through a variety of complex cases where behavioural issues and mental health concerns often overlap. This will involve taking a case management approach to support these students, and investigating behavioural concerns and issuing appropriate outcomes.
Due to the nature of this work, the incumbent will be required to work some evening hours. The incumbent will also partake in an on-call role and will be expected to be available to respond to phone calls and asses the criticality of the situation. The incumbent is eligible for on-call remuneration.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- 3-year diploma/degree in relevant education such as Counselling, Social Sciences/Services, or Human Resources Management Diploma/Degree or equivalent training/experience.
- 3 years’ progressive experience in residence life programming and student success initiatives
- Experience supervising student employees;
- Experience motivating employees, team building, and human resource management;
- Solid understanding of student development, student issues and needs of students;
- Experience in developing, implementing and monitoring service excellence;
- Strong and effective communicator with the ability to reconcile significantly diverse viewpoints, foster cooperation and work collaboratively within and across various departments;
- Experience working with multiple internal partners;
- Complex problem solving skills;
- Ability to foster a team environment;
- Experience in mediation and crisis intervention.
- The incumbent must provide a satisfactory Police Records check
Sir Sandford Fleming College is committed to building an inclusive and accessible learning and working environment. We believe in and promote the rights of all persons with disabilities as enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA 2005) and its related Accessibility Standards Regulations. To meet this commitment, Fleming College will make appropriate accommodations available throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform our Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation. To obtain a copy of this document in another format please e-mail Recruitment@flemingcollege.ca.
Salary: $58,858 - $73,789 Annually
Manager, Residence Life
705-749-5530 ext. 1102
Located just an hour and a half northeast of Toronto and only an hour from Durham Region, we deliver the hard-to-find combination of quality learning and quality of life in the communities we serve.
It has been 50 amazing years since Sir Sandford Fleming College was established in 1967. With an original intake of 235 students, Fleming College now boasts 6,000 full-time and 10,000 part-time students enrolled at four campuses in four counties, including over 800 international students from countries around the world. We are also extremely proud of our more than 71,000 Fleming alumni who are contributing to their communities in the region, across the province and around the world.