Position: Manager, Residence Life (x2)
Deadline: December 12, 2023
Job Description / Duties
The Manager, Residence Life provides day to day management and leadership of residence life activities for their assigned residences including staff supervision, student conduct and student wellness support in residence. The Manager is directly responsible for the supervision of 2-3 Residence Life Coordinators and will indirectly supervise approximately 30 student employees. The Manager, Residence Life will lead their team using student centered, restorative justice, trauma informed and educational lenses that lead to the development of safe and supportive residence communities at Trent University.
The Manager, Residence Life is responsible for the continual development and implementation of the Residence Life & Education team vision and will assist the Assistant Director, Residence Life & Education in the development of strategic priorities that help to achieve the mandate of the Student Housing department.
The Manager, Residence Life, will participate in an exempt staff on-call rotation that provides support to Trent’s Peterborough and Durham campuses.
Qualifications / Required Skills
· Master's degree in Higher Education, Social Work or a related field is required.
· Certification in areas such as suicide prevention, mental health first aid, conflict resolution or risk assessment from an accredited body is considered an asset.
· 4 years of professional experience in student housing or student affairs.
· Experience om responding to student crises and managing ongoing community crises is required.
· Experience in managing employees and navigating human resources policies.
· In-depth understanding of student conduct, student wellness and community development.
· Knowledge of current federal and provincial laws, regulations, and their relation to higher education, including but not limited to: Residential Tenancies Act, Ontario Human Rights Code, Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Ontario Health and Safety Act, Ontario Employment Standards Act, Liquor License Act, Cannabis Act.
· Knowledge of best practices and guiding faceworks in student housing and student affairs including but not limited to: ACUHO-I Standards, ACUHO-I Core Competencies, CACUSS Competencies, Okanagan Charter, and CAS Standards.
· Demonstrated ability to interpret a variety of university and departmental procedures, policies, and practices in decision making.
· Proven ability to organize and handle a variety of projects, deadlines, and schedules simultaneously and independently.
· Ability and aptitude toward continuous improvement.
· Commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility.
· Vulnerable Sector Check dated within the last 6 months will be required as a condition of employment.
· An Ontario G Class Driver’s License with reliable transportation.
To Apply: Those interested in applying are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and application form (if applicable), by email to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF) no later than January 4, 2024 at 4:00 p.m. Please note your full name and the job title in the subject line of your email (i.e. First and Last Name – Job Title). Applications from external candidates will be considered only when accompanied by a completed Employment Application Form.
Salary: $80,563 - $107,419
Trent University is the #1 undergraduate university in Ontario for a reason. Well, lots of reasons.
Separated by a river, joined by a bridge, Trent’s Symons Campus in Peterborough is a place of possibility, curiosity, and beauty. Our breathtaking campus provides a spectacular natural and architecturally inspiring backdrop for tomorrow’s groundbreaking ideas.
Our Durham Greater Toronto Area campus is located in a dynamic urban setting where big city and close-knit community intersect. Trent Durham GTA is the vibrant community you have been looking for.
Trent offers more than just rewarding career opportunities: the employee experience is important to us. With comprehensive benefit and pension plans for eligible employees, and a strong focus on wellness, green initiatives, and inclusion, employees achieve a rewarding and meaningful work-life balance.