Position: MANAGER, RESIDENCE AND COMMUNITY LIFE (PERMANENT, FULL-TIME)
Deadline: April 17, 2022
Job Description / Duties
Reporting to the Director, Student Affairs, the Manager, Residence and Community Life is responsible for contributing to an engaging, inclusive, and safe living and campus environment that is conducive to academic study, learning and growth, and positive social experiences. This includes leading Student Affairs initiatives related to residence life and education, student activities and community life, and student leadership development. The Manager collaborates with the Student Affairs team to achieve the University’s mission and vision, and represents the University in a manner consistent with its values, goals, and strategic direction.
How will you contribute as the Manager, Residence and Community Life?
- Function as escalation point for students, parents, faculty, and staff for matters relating to student conduct
- Responsible for ensuring residence policies are followed, and manages escalated policy enforcement, discipline, residence emergencies, and crisis intervention in a manner guided by a restorative justice approach, and informed by EDI principles
- Manage a system of 24-7 on-call and emergency response within the residence
- Respond to and support complex student needs including, but not limited to, mental health and sexual violence matters
- Lead initiatives to secure student residence occupancy, including: marketing, recruitment, admissions, contracts, residence processes, and fee administration
- Develop and accountable for an annual budget related to residence life, and makes recommendations regarding residence fees based on residence and university trends
- Support team in managing the development, implementation, and evaluation of foundational student leadership initiatives (including suggested training, recruitment, professional development, compensation, etc. for students leaders in Student Affairs)
- Inform and manage staff in the planning, organizing, and collaboration internally and externally to deliver SJU orientation and transition activities
- Make strategic recommendations to the Director, Student Affairs related to residence, community life
- Provide excellent leadership to all residence and community life staff, and creates and maintains positive working relationships by facilitating annual goal setting with each team member, and effectively measuring and evaluating performance, and providing feedback
- Develop and strengthen relationships with strategic partners and stakeholders on and off campus
Qualifications / Required Skills
As a successful Manager, Residence and Community Life, you possess:
- 3+ years of experience working in a post-secondary setting, with responsibilities including residence, student engagement, service learning, and/or wellness
- Bachelor’s degree required in relevant discipline
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, with the ability to direct, motivate, and manage teams and individuals
- Appreciation for and understanding of whole-person student development
- Demonstrated budgetary and financial understanding
- Highly developed interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and confidentiality
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience and competence managing competing priorities
- Ability to deal with diverse issues in a dynamic and changing student environment
- Experience supporting complex student issues, including mental health and sexual violence response
- Commitment to lifelong learning and continuous improvement an asset
- EDI training and/or experience an asset
- Familiar with the Catholic Social Teachings and the value of their integration in service learning initiatives an asset
- Certification in ASIST, safeTALK, ASIST, and/or Mental Health First Aid preferred
- Ability to obtain a Vulnerable Sector Check
To read the full job description, please visit this link: https://www.sju.ca/manager-residence-and-community-life-permanent-full-time
Salary: $71,420 - $73,388
Please send your application to email@example.com by Sunday, April 17, 2022, Attention: Jessica Vorsteveld, Director, Student Affairs.
Why St. Jerome’s University?
At. St. Jerome’s University, we embrace and celebrate the philosophy of educating the whole person – intellectually, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Our commitment to academic excellence and to the integration of knowledge, research, and experiential learning allows us to inspire learning and discovery not only in our students but also in those with whom we interact. We foster a respectful, inclusive community that is centered on the well-being of our students and the promotion of the common good, consistent with the ideals of the contemporary Roman Catholic Church.
The Way We Work & Live
Employees have opportunities to participate in our community, work within cross-organizational teams, demonstrate their commitment to learning and development, and contribute to the University’s mission. As a federated university with the University of Waterloo, St. Jerome’s University employees, just like our students, enjoy the advantages of a small community while have the opportunity to participate and contribute to the greater community.
St. Jerome’s University is located on the traditional territory of the Neutral, Anishnawbeg and Haudenosaunee peoples. Our University is situated on the Haldimand Tract, the land promised to the Six Nations that includes ten kilometres on each side of the Grand River. We give thanks for the privilege to work and live on this land, and we are committed to building respectful relationships with Indigenous people and communities, to enhance our knowledge, and learn how we can have an active role in reconciliation.