Position: Graphic Designer
Deadline: March 21, 2022
Job Description / Duties
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Division of Housing and Ancillary Services is committed to providing a first-class experience in the areas of housing, hospitality services, and retail services for undergraduate/graduate students and their families, staff and faculties at the Western communities, while supporting the academic mission of the University and ensuring profitability and cost effectiveness of the operation.
Through an integrated effort focusing on honest, open and consistent communication, Marketing and Communications provides the leadership needed to help the Division of Housing and Ancillary Services create and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with students and other stakeholders vital to the Division’s growth and development. Marketing and Communications brings marketing perspectives and strategies into the Division’s decision-making and planning. It provides leadership, expertise and services that enhance the quality and effectiveness of the Division’s communications projects and programs.
The Graphic Designer will be responsible for providing creative services and consultations for projects, print advertisements, digital assets and other marketing materials. The role will produce designs that follow best practices, and keep up with the latest styles and trends in graphic design, with the overall goal of creating appealing and impactful designs that fit with the Division’s and the University's overall marketing and branding strategies.
Qualifications / Required Skills
- University Degree or 3 year Advanced Community College Diploma in Graphic Design or Visual Arts
- Marketing agency experience is preferred
- 2 years’ experience working in graphic design, digital animation, photography and filmmaking
- Experience using Asana, and Trello project management tools is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Familiarity with image and graphic manipulation/editing and with e-communication tools including website and graphic design principles
- Knowledge of social media platforms relevant to student populations
- Knowledge of marketing trends and best practices
- Advanced computer skills in Adobe Suite and relevant graphic design and filmmaking software (e.g. Final Cut Pro)
- Expertise working within a McIntosh environment, with intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to collaborate and develop credible relationships with a wide variety of individuals
- Communication skills to clearly and effectively interact with all levels of the organization
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Ability to think creatively and use a non-prescriptive approach in marketing and communications initiatives
- Innovative and flexible critical thinking skills to adjust to and implement new processes or technology to the University’s advantage
- Ability to produce high-quality results and workable solutions that meet client needs
- Ability and willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- Ability to take responsibility for own work and ensure that deadlines are met and outcomes are achieved
- Personable and courteous in working relationships with colleagues, students and the public
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Salary: SG 13
Interested applicants are asked to apply online at recruit.uwo.ca referencing job #25389.