Position: Financial Officer
Deadline: February 8, 2019
Posted: January 24, 2019
Job Description / Duties
The Financial Officer is responsible for the day to day financial functions of Housing Services at Trent University. This involves advising the director on a variety of complex financial issues, ensuring compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and university requirements, evaluating financial objectives, preparing and analyzing financial reports, comparing actual performance with projected results and advising on the reasons for variations.
Under the general supervision of the Director, the incumbent prepares annual budgets, forecasts, long-range plans, financial reports, analyses and reconciliations of moderate complexity to support decision making and/or the implementation of financial decisions.
The Financial Officer will prepare a multi-year strategic budget and assist the housing leadership team with the monitoring of budget accounts. The incumbent is responsible for coordinating the residence and food services student billing processes and working collaboratively with Food Services, TrentU Card, and Financial Services address accounts receivable issues.
The incumbent keeps current in University financial policies and practices and advises the Housing leadership team regarding policies, procedures and other financial requirements.
The incumbent will act as the primary point of contact in the department for financial matters regarding analysis, recommendations, procurement and project planning for the department.
The Financial Officer provides basic administrative support to the housing leadership team.
Qualifications / Required Skills
University Degree (3 year) a major in Accounting or Finance. Certification or equivalent knowledge of financial modeling an asset.
1. Three to five years of recent financial accounting experience
2. Excellent computer skills; Intermediate level proficiency with word processing (MS Word). High proficiency in database/spreadsheet (MS Access/MS Excel) software; knowledge of Datatel and/or StarRez an asset.
3. Experience with budgetary procedures, bookkeeping, data manipulation, and meticulous attention to numerical and contextual detail
4. Ability to critically read and interpret data and analyse transactions
5. Good written and oral communication skills.
6. A clear understanding and demonstrated abilities for diplomacy and confidentiality required.
7. Strong orientation toward serving students and good interpersonal skills.
8. Ability to work enthusiastically both independently and as part of a team.
9. Excellent organizational and time management skills.
For more information, please view the full Position Description or visit trentu.ca/employment
To Apply: Those interested in applying are asked to submit a cover letter, resume and application form (if applicable), by email to email@example.com (Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF) no later than Friday, February 8, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Please note your full name and the job title in the subject line of your email (i.e. First and Last Name – Job Title). Applications from external candidates will be considered only when accompanied by a completed Application Form.
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jen Coulter, Director of Housing Services at email@example.com.
Trent University is nationally recognized for its leadership in teaching, research, and student satisfaction. Our Peterborough campus boasts award-winning architecture in a breathtaking natural setting, just 90 minutes from downtown Toronto.