Position: Finance & Business Officer
Deadline: July 10, 2022
Job Description / Duties
Under the direction of the Director, Housing & Residence Life, you will manage a wide range of financial, administrative and operational functions for UTSC's Student Housing and Residence Life. This encompasses managing the financial resources and budget, including forecasting, planning, analysis, and reporting; supervising and directing the work of the Financial & Administrative Assistant; supporting space and facilities planning and administration of personnel related activities. You will also provide sound financial advice and recommendations to the Director and Manager, Residence Life and initiate or maintain efficient administrative processes to support the operations and workflows of the unit.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Monitoring department budget to ensure expenditures remain within budgeted allocations (including reconciling accounts, processing accounts payable and receivable)
- Forecasting, planning and monitoring multiple complex budgets
- Planning and overseeing short and long range activities that support financial administration
- Making recommendations on budget allocations involving multiple sources of revenue and/or recoveries
- Analyzing financial trends and preparing analytical reports and forecasts for management decision making (e.g. preparing budget variance reports and statistics)
- Developing and revising business methods that support administrative workflow and objectives
- Implementing plans and process improvements for financial administration activities
- Directing the activities of a single ongoing staff-appointed employee and casual staff
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Bachelor's Degree in finance or accounting and working towards a CPA designation or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum four years of related financial and administrative management experience, including experience with budget preparation, forecasting and analysis, monthly statement reconciliation, and financial reporting
- Supervisory experience, preferably in a unionized environment
- Must have well-developed accounting, budgeting, forecasting, financial and administrative management skills (i.e. auditing accounts, reconciling budget anomalies, processing accounts payable and receivables, recommending budget allocations, preparing statistical information, and complete onboarding and payroll documentation for new hires)
- Advanced proficiency with MS Office (Excel, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Demonstrated working knowledge of financial and human resources software systems such as SAP (e.g. HRIS, FIS) or comparable applications
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including report writing
- Demonstrative initiative, organizational and time management skills with the ability to prioritize and manage competing deadlines
- Highly analytical and detailed-oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, sound judgment and tact
- Ability to deal with sensitive and confidential issues and information
- Must be able to show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning and working environment
Position Number: 00044401
Salary: USW Pay Band 14 -- $80,198 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $102,562.
The University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimited potential. Join us on our journey.
The Department of Student Housing and Residence Life is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment that is conducive to students’ personal and academic success. Our department is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the University of Toronto Scarborough’s student residences in order to provide accommodations and a community that promotes the development of our students. We work collaboratively with student service professionals across the campus in order to provide a wide range of activities, services and supports to enhance the quality of student experience.