Position: Data Analyst (Business Intelligence Coordinator)
Deadline: February 16, 2022
Job Description / Duties
Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 14
Please note, this is a 1 year temporary full time contract opportunity.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western’s Residences are a self-funded ancillary within the Division of Housing and Ancillary Services, with annual revenues in excess of $65 million and a staff of 60 full-time and more than 200 student employees. The eleven residences are occupied by students and fully operational throughout the academic year on a 24/7 basis. Western’s rental accommodations are comprised of 2 apartment buildings, 19 three-story walk up apartment buildings and 170 townhouses, with annual revenues of $10,821,200, with 900 leases.
HASIT aims to implement secure, cost effective and innovative computing technology solutions for our business partners. HASIT provides attentive, friendly, high quality technical support to our customers, solving their issues in a timely fashion.
The Data Analyst (Business Intelligence Coordinator) will be responsible for the analysis of data and reporting on Housing activities. Under the direction of both the Associate Director, Housing Admissions and Occupancy and the Software Development Manager, the Data Analyst gathers data from Housing processes and information systems and provides accurate and timely reporting to support decision making with regards to Housing. The Data Analyst will liaise between Housing Admissions and the Housing and Ancillary Services WEB team (HASWEB) to ensure that business processes are created or optimized, while also maintaining housing data systems, producing visual metrics/dashboards and reports, and optimizing data capture and reporting. The Data Analyst supports assessment development and analysis of student satisfaction for Housing. The Data Analyst will actively participate in the admission process to ensure optimal Housing occupancy.
- Undergraduate degree in a related field; Social Science, Data Science, Information Technology/Computer Science preferred
- 4 years experience in data analysis and reporting including working with large data sets, data visualization and statistical measures
- Previous experience with project management
- Previous work experience in an academic environment institution
- Previous experience with StarRez and/or SQL
- Developing and implementing data analyses, data collection systems and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
- Experience building visual presentations, dashboards, and other data visualization techniques
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and common data formats
- Knowledge of data structures and SQL query techniques, key statistical concepts and methods essential to finding structure in data
- Knowledge of systems analysis, data storage and information retrieval techniques as well as diverse methodologies to get insight from the data
- Knowledge of project management tools and methods
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methodologies and analyses
- Familiar with best practices in maintaining sensitive and confidential data
- Familiarity with accounting principals would be considered an asset
- Ability to analyze business risk and recommend improvements in processes
- Ability to deal with data anomalies such as missing values, outliers, unbalanced data, and data normalization
- Ability to produce concise and accessible analysis of complex data through the effective use of charts and tables
- Attention to detail with an ability to retrieve, analyze and synthesize sizable amounts of data while ensuring that information is accurate and comprehensive
- Verbal communication skills to clearly express ideas in an objective manner, and adapt communication style to suit the situation and audience
- Proven ability and natural inclination to develop relationships by interacting with people in a professional, respectful, and diplomatic manner
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy (https://www.uwo.ca/univsec/pdf/policies_procedures/section3/mapp311_covid19.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Interested applicants are asked to apply online at recruit.uwo.ca referencing job #25103.