Position: Associate Director Accommodation
Deadline: December 3, 2021
Job Description / Duties
This is a new position responsible for developing, managing, directly and providing long and short-term vision and goals to optimize occupancy of on-campus accommodation for both Student Housing and Conference Services. This position is responsible for the complex range of operations generating review in excess of $14 million per year with opportunities for future growth.
Student Housing and Conference Services is a 24-hour operation providing support to student and conference service guests and responds to inquiries from students, parents, conference guests, emergency services and other university personnel.
The position provides strategic direction to a team of manager, supervisors and front line staff and is responsible for the overall visions and implementation of the student housing accommodation experience and the conference services operation.
Reports to the Director, Business Operations. Directly supervises 4 Managers (Manager, Residence Administration, Front Office Manager, and 2 Managers Conference Sales and Service). Indirectly supervises the 2 full time Administrative Assistant positions, 10 full time Guest Service Agents and 8 seasonal staff members. Works closely with departmental and University senior managers and liaises with other departmental staff, campus priority initiative groups (Campus Planning, Sustainability etc) and Associate Vice President, Students and Associate Vice President Finance Units. Acts as a designate for the Director, Business Operations as required.
This position interacts with various student groups, department partners and suppliers and many senior level positions with the University organization and is key to ensuring that Student Housing and Conferences Services supports departmental and academic success on the Okanagan campus. This position is senior member of the Business Operations leadership team.
Provides Strategic Planning and Direction for two distinct operations; Student Housing Accommodation and Conferences Services:
• Directs operational planning, logistical coordination, sales and marketing strategies, front office services, and inventory management.
• Develops and implements policy guidelines, practices, rates and procedures for each area.
• Develops strategic planning initiatives that will grow both operations maximizing yield.
• Maintains contractual compliance with external users, ensures appropriate application of policy is applied for events requiring alcohol, requiring insurance and /or special events, security forms etc.
• Strategically develops and directs work assignments and projects to maximize resources, strengthen cross-functional work processes, and improve efficiencies. Develops initiatives and action plans to support service excellence.
• Determines human and financial resources required to sustain programs and services; and is accountable for their responsible management.
• Initiates strategic partnerships with a diverse range of stakeholder groups to strengthen residence services which support student success, retention, learning and enriching student life at UBC.
• Develops and implements long range goals and business plans for optimizing occupancy.
• Reviews operations and implements operational changes to meet targets and improve efficiencies on an ongoing basis. Includes assessing the financial risks of plans and organizational changes involved in future projects.
• Plans, develops and implements new organizational policies and procedures to improve product and service quality. Provides clarity and direction on policies and procedures to managers and staff.
• Collaborates with Residence Administration and Conferences and Accommodation at the Vancouver campus to ensure consistency of vision and values.
Directs the operation of Student Housing and Conference Services:
• Manages M&P and support staff including recruiting, training, supervising, scheduling and performance management up to and including termination in accordance with the associated collective agreements.
• Develops annual staffing plans and staff development plans
• Develops long term and short term budgets and manages day to day to day financial for revenues and expenses for Conference Services,
• Determines and assigns operational goals that support departmental and University goals and deliver high quality service for internal UBC community and external clients wishing to convene on campus.
• Implements, manages, and monitors business improvement and change projects.
• Leads and manages the establishment of best practices across all areas of Student Housing and Conference Services.
• Develops and assigns goals and objectives for managers, supervisors and staff to advance the departmental vision and business plan.
• Directs the customer service standards set by UBC Student Housing and Conference Services.
• Provides overall leadership and oversight to the front desk administrative operations.
• Provides leadership for project team and initiatives with Business Operations
• Represents the department in high profile functions, conferences and other events.
• Develops and maintains relationships with campus community to facilitate regular, open dialogue and communication.
• Participates on University and departmental committees
• Negotiates pricing, multi-unit contracts, and service levels with suppliers. Prepares quotation documents to forward to suppliers for bids. Prepares legal contracts and purchase orders following selection of supplier and approves and oversees the purchase of any large expenditure items.
• Analyzes financial reports, determines accommodation rates. Is accountable for the financial integrity of the department.
• Manages hours of operation for units under their control to effectively meet marketplace service expectations while ensuring financial sustainability is achieved.
• Develops a marketing plan for all areas of responsibility. Delegates the implementation of the plan as required. Measures the effectiveness of the plan and adjusts as required.
• Develops and implements partnerships and/or agreements with external suppliers such as housekeeping and linen supply.
Consequence of Error/Judgement:
This position represents the University and Accommodation department. Incorrect decisions/judgments will directly affect the University's reputation with the professional community, community groups, students and faculties. Incorrect decisions would have an impact on the University's current and future ability to recruit and retain students, the operation of the programs and services, and the reputation of the department, and the University.
Poor judgment or failure to maintain policies and standards could result in poor public relations, loss of property or injury to residents or staff, loss of revenue, loss of prestige and potential legal liability for the University.
Reports to the Director, Business Operations. Works under broad directives.
Directly supervises 4 Managers and 2 full time administrative Staff. Indirect oversight of 10 full time Housing and Hospitality Assistants and 8 seasonal staff.
Qualifications / Required Skills
• Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline.
• Minimum of six years of related experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Masters degree preferred.
• Experience in a service centered environment in a senior leadership role, preferably in a university residence context or hotel.
• Experience with project planning and management required.
• Previous experience with Student Information Systems or other enterprise database solutions/customer relationship management systems preferred.
• Proven experience with analyzing and redesigning work flow/business processes to enhance efficiencies and align with organizational goals.
• Understanding of the university environment and culture is an asset.
• Proficiency with standard office software required.
• Demonstrated ability to independently exercise superior judgment to make important decisions on complex matters which may fall outside of the scope of established policies.
• Demonstrated ability to lead, influence and support organizational and cultural change.
• Proven ability to lead, coach and motivate staff.
• Demonstrated interpersonal skills with the ability to use an inclusive approach to develop and cultivate relationships with students, faculty, staff and members of the external community.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and share expertise within a team environment.
• Demonstrated ability and aptitude for progressive, creative and innovative thinking.
• Proven ability to be proactive and develop and implement strategies.
• Demonstrated time management skills with the ability to effectively prioritize, multi-task and organize work.
• Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail, especially when working under pressure to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work flexible hours and days of the week, as well as respond to after-hours calls. Work cycle experiences annual peaks.
• A satisfactory Criminal Record Check.
Full job posting and application process can be found at: https://hr.ubc.ca/careers-and-job-postings
under "View Staff Openings" button
Salary: Minimum $87,340 - Midpoint $109,175 - Maximum $136.468
Director, Business Operations
UBC Okanagan Student Housing offers on-campus accommodation to approximately 2,100 students with a variety of modern traditional, single-connected and townhome style residences. The residence community is comprised of eight traditional-style residence and two suite-style residence communities. 85+ live-in student staff support a dynamic Residence Life program that features nine vibrant living learning communities. UBC’s Okanagan campus is an innovative hub for research and learning situated in the heart of Syilx Okanagan territory. With 63 Undergraduate and 26 Graduate programs, the campus has a student population of approximately 11,000, representing 109 countries. In the summer months we provide hotel style accommodation to support individual travelers as well as facilitate full service conferences operations for both internal and external groups.