Position: Residence Life Coordinator
Deadline: November 9, 2020
Job Description / Duties
The Department of Student Housing and Residence Life is committed to creating an inclusive and welcoming environment that is conducive to students’ personal and academic success. Our department is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the University of Toronto Scarborough’s student residences in order to provide accommodations and a community that promotes the development of our students. We work collaboratively with student service professionals across the campus in order to provide a wide range of activities, services and supports to enhance the quality of student experience.
You will be part of a dynamic team reporting into the Manager, Residence Life and providing coordination of front-line issues management for students living in residence with diverse backgrounds, interests, needs and skills. You will lead the creation of a supportive and inclusive environment by fostering contributions from residence staff and students.
As the Residence Life Coordinator (RLC), your key responsibilities will include developing activities, services and supports for residents; contributing to the selection, training and supervision of casual staff; facilitating problem-solving, referrals, and addressing student conduct issues; safety awareness and planning; on-call response, issue management and crisis and routine emergency response; evaluating student staff and residence experiences and promoting student leadership and civic engagement.
The Residence Life Coordinator is a live-in position and will be assigned to deliver services and provide support to a specific residence community at UTSC.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Advising students on co-curricular, academic and personal matters
by providing options and consequences incorporating personal
circumstances impacting academic success and an understanding of
an individual's background
- Applying established standards when responding to emergencies
- Resolving minor interpersonal disputes between students and/or
- Interpreting applicable guidelines and protocols to determine policy
- Investigating community standard and housing policy breaches
- Liaising with students and faculty to coordinate program activities
- Coordinating room assignments and room changes throughout the
- Selection, training and coaching casual staff
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent
- Minimum three years' experience (a combination of para-professional
and professional experience is acceptable) living and/or working in a
university or post-secondary residence setting
- Experience in advising and referrals, programming, community
management and adjudicating student conduct in an post-
secondary residence community
- Experience working with diverse student communities and have a
commitment to improving and enhancing the student experience
- Demonstrated experience providing support to individuals in
distress, issues management, monitoring crisis response and
- Experience supervising and training casual staff and students
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and
- Flexibility to work an irregular schedule with the ability to be on-call
and within a confined radius to the University
- Requirement to live in residence on the University of Toronto
- Ability to show evidence of a commitment to equity, diversity,
inclusion, and the promotion of a respectful and collegial learning
and working environment
- Familiarity with residence records management systems (i.e.
To be successful in this role you will be:
- Problem solver
- Team player
All interested applicants are to apply online by November 9, 2020. For more information and to submit an application, please copy and paste the following link into a new browser:
Salary: USW Pay Band 11 -- $65,669 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $83,978
Human Resource Services
University of Toronto Scarborough
The University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimited potential. Join us on our journey.