Position: Residence Programming and Academic Initiatives Facilitator
Deadline: July 12, 2021
Job Description / Duties
Under the direction of the Associate Director, Residence Life and Education, facilitates the implementation of academic initiatives and residence-wide activities in Housing and Residence Life. The incumbent coordinates the day-to-day operations of the Living-Learning Communities, supports residence’s connection to university-wide academic success programs and coordinates residence-wide programming initiatives with the Residence Life Management team.
Please note that the incumbent is periodically required to be on a 24/7 on-call rotation assisting with facility concerns and responding to students in crisis or other emergencies and must be able to travel to the campus within 20-30 minutes.
The Residence Programming and Academic Initiatives Facilitator will:
- Coordinate the day to day operations of the Living Learning Communities in residence
- Coordinate and support faculty and university-wide academic initiatives related to residence students
- Provide administrative support, guidance and work direction to part time student roles such as the Academic Links and Community Development Advisors
- Support ongoing department wide projects and initiatives such as move in day, residence recruitment, and other large scale efforts in Housing and Residence Life
- Participate in a 24/7 on call rotation; assisting with coordination of response to facilities concerns, responding to students in crisis or other emergencies
Qualifications / Required Skills
- Completion of a post-secondary degree program in Education or a related field is required
- Completion of suicide intervention/mental health training (e.g. ASIST) an asset
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience of living in and coordinating student staff within a residence environment, including event planning and crisis response for students
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships and deal with conflict
- Experience in handling multiple tasks and taking initiative to create a positive living and learning community for post-secondary students
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills
- Ability to work in a team or independently
Salary: OPSEU Grade 10
Simon Finn - firstname.lastname@example.org
At the intersection of mind and action, Ryerson is on a transformative path to become Canada’s leading comprehensive innovation university. Integral to this path is the placement of equity, diversity and inclusion as fundamental to our institutional culture. Our current academic plan outlines each as core values and we work to embed them in all that we do.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Metis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+. Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, applications from Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
As an employer, we are working towards a people first culture and are proud to have been selected as one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers and a Greater Toronto’s Top Employer for 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018. To learn more about our work environment, colleagues, leaders, students and innovative educational environment, visit www.ryerson.ca, check out @RyersonU, @RyersonHR and @RyersonECI on Twitter, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
About Housing and Residence Life:
Ryerson Housing & Residence Life maintains an extensive Residence Life program. It is the hope of the Residence Life program to support students in all aspects of their lives while living in Residence. Our ultimate goal is to create a community in which students can live and learn in a safe and supportive environment.