Position: Residence Facilities Project Coordinator
Deadline: September 9, 2018
Posted: August 20, 2018
Job Description / Duties
Student Affairs at the University of Victoria helps to transform students’ lives by supporting and inspiring the highest standards of student learning and success, community engagement and staff development. The Division is comprised of over 30 reporting units in six departments: Athletics and Recreation, Campus Services, Office of the Registrar, Student Recruitment and Global Engagement, and Student Services. The comprehensive and integrated range of services we provide make Student Affairs one of the most dynamic and diverse divisions on campus. Together, we support UVic’s vision “to be a university of choice for outstanding students, faculty, and staff from BC, Canada, and around the world.”
Residence Services, a unit within the division of Student Affairs, provides accommodation services, programming and education to the on-campus student community, as well as providing a summer conference operation for off-campus customers. The Residence Facilities department is responsible for maintaining clean, safe and healthy housing facilities for approximately 2,300 students in single student housing and 181 family housing units. The Residence Facilities department also ensures that current and future facility projects and develoment meet Residence Services goals and needs. The Residence Facilities department supports Residence Services and Student Affairs strategic operational, financial, and organizational goals.
Under the guidance of the Associate Director, Residence Facilities (ADRF), the Residence Facilities Project Coordinator (RFPC) will support the ADRF in the oversight, tracking and management of short-term construction, renovation and maintenance projects in residences, in order to support and enhance the student living experience. The RFPC liaises closely and works collaboratively with all Residence Services, as well as University Facilities Management and/or other university departments to oversee the day-to-day management of projects, managing timelines, budget and scope of both large and small projects to ensure successful and timely completion of projects.
The RFPC is assigned a diverse range of projects varying in scope, complexity and risk, which may range in size from maintenance work to projects valued up to $3 million. Projects may include interior and exterior renovations; upgrades or repairs to equipment, finishes and furniture; and feasibility studies. The RFPC may also be involved in the coordination, prioritization and oversight of preventative and/or demand maintenance work in residences.
The RFPC tracks and reports on project progress, budgets, and timelines to the ADRF and the Residence Services management team, communicating on issues and deadlines that impact Residence Services operations. This position liaises with other Residence Services departments in order to coordinate communications and deadlines that support the departmental operations.
The RFPC may be required to respond to emergency facilities situations, including being part of an after-hours on-call rotation.
Qualifications / Required Skills
Architectural, Building or Engineering Technology diploma and/or 3-5 years of recent experience delivering projects. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience could also be considered.
Experience and knowledge should include:
- Experience with the design and implementation of a variety of renovation, construction or facilities projects with values up to $3M
- Participation in multidisciplinary project teams
- Management of budgetary and financial resources in project delivery.
- Experience with facilities maintenance processes and requirements
- Broad technical knowledge relevant to renovation, construction or facilities projects
- Project management methodologies and best practices.
Required skills include:
- Ability to analyze problems and identify positive solutions that resolve a variety of operational, project and technical issues.
- Ability to oversee, track and monitor multiple projects at one time.
- Strong collaborative skills; ability to work with a diverse team of stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to influence, negotiate and resolve conflicts with project team members, consultants, and/or staff.
- Ability to critique consultants’ design, construction documents, specifications and construction contract and tender documents.
- Ability to provide exceptional service to staff, students and stakeholders.
- Professional Project Management professional (PMP)
- Experience in higher education or a large residential environment an asset
The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of the university. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application and hiring process may contact Kam Cheema, HR Programs and Project Manager, at email@example.com. Any personal information provided will be maintained in confidence.
Salary: $57,353.00 - $64,553.00
Please apply here:
The University of Victoria is one of Victoria's largest employers and one of Canada’s best diversity employers. Together we are more than 5,000 dedicated faculty, librarians and staff supporting the University of Victoria’s diverse academic programs, world-class research and commitment to civic engagement.